RAV 4 MANUAL TRANSMISSION WONT GO INTO GEARS AFTER STARTUP

1996 Toyota Rav4 • 166,000 miles

1996 manual transmission rav 4, starts ok but won't go to 1st gear, has to be shut down then placed in gear, after vehicle moves off additional gears are stiff n hard to go into.
Dah bud

You could either have a problem with the input shaft or the synchronizers need replacing.

Thanks pretty much what they told me, more than likely the synchronizers are bad, hopefully it's not all of them, generally I only had the problem with 1st gear, but now it seems to have been getting to the others as well, hope it's not serious

Dah bud
I would suspect the clutch disk is not returning rather than internal. The other thing that can cause such symptoms would be a seized pilot bearing for the clutch shaft. This would keep the clutch shaft turning even when the clutch is depressed.

I have yet to come across a transmission that have all gear synchronizers going bad.