2.7L PETROLSTUTTERS AND BACKFIRES WHEN ACCELERATING.I'VE HAD NEW SPARK PLUGS, CLEANED CARBURATOR, CLEANED FILTER ON FUEL TANKS. ANY IDEAS?

1996 Toyota Prado • 180,000 miles

I've also changed fuel filter. Any ideas?
Rich B

Checked timing?

Rivermikerat
I'm not mechanically minded, but the engine runs very quietly and evenly when it's first started before driving. Does this mean the timing is probably ok or do I need it checked?

Rich B
It could go either way. Stuttering and backfiring is one of 2 things: 1) raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust stream and being detonated.
2) spark too early or too late for valve timing.
Since timing is easiest to check, it's the first I mention. You said 'petrol'. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't in the U.S. Is there somewhere you can rent or borrow a timing light? Or other tools?

The reason the engine seems to run fine at first is due to the cold start circuit. Less air is drawn into the engine, speeding up the idle during the warmup cycle. The increased engine speed adjusts the ignition timing. The computer will also adjust the timing during warmup.

Rivermikerat
Thanks! Rivermikerat. You're right I'm not in US. Maybe this will help to solve this problem.

Rich B
I hope so. Let me know what you find out.

Rivermikerat