TOYOTA 4RUNNER CAMSHAFT PROBLEM

1996 Toyota 4Runner

I need to know the head bolts torque specs and pattern for the v6 please
Alfredm8702

Refer to diagrams.

Thank u

Alfredm8702
You're welcome.

I'm sorry one more question can I re use the head bolts?

Alfredm8702
Yes, these are reusable bolts.

Cool thanks again

Alfredm8702
Ok one last time can u give me the cam gear markings?

Alfredm8702
Installation

1. If reassembling exhaust camshaft, install gear spring, sub-gear, wave washer and snap ring. Using spanner wrench, rotate sub-gear counterclockwise until holes in main gear and sub-gear are aligned. Ensure pins on the gears align with ends of gear spring. Temporarily install service bolt "A". See Fig. 13. Ensure gear teeth of main gear and sub-gear are aligned. Tighten service bolt.

2. Apply engine oil to thrust surfaces and journals of camshafts. Install exhaust camshaft in cylinder head. Rotate exhaust camshaft so timing marks (2 dots) on right cylinder head or 1 dot on left cylinder head are positioned at 90-degree angle to cylinder head.

3. Apply engine oil to seal lip on NEW oil seal. Install oil seal on exhaust camshaft. Apply sealant on No. 1 exhaust camshaft bearing cap at the bearing cap-to-cylinder head surface.

4. Install exhaust camshaft bearing caps in numerical order. Ensure arrow on top of camshaft bearing cap is pointing toward timing belt end of engine. Coat camshaft bearing cap bolt-to-camshaft bearing cap surface and bolt threads with engine oil. Install and tighten exhaust camshaft bearing cap bolts to specification in reverse order of removal sequence using several steps. See Fig. 7.

5. Install intake camshaft in cylinder head. Rotate intake camshaft so timing marks (2 dots) on right cylinder head or 1 dot on left cylinder head are aligned with timing mark on exhaust camshaft.

6. Install intake camshaft bearing caps in numerical order. Ensure arrow on top of camshaft bearing cap is pointing toward timing belt end of engine. Coat camshaft bearing cap bolt-to-camshaft bearing cap surface and bolt threads with engine oil. Install and tighten intake camshaft bearing cap retaining bolts to specification in reverse order of removal sequence using several steps. See Fig. 7.

7. On all cylinder head applications, remove service bolt "A" from the exhaust camshaft. Check and adjust valve clearance.

8. Apply sealant to grooves of semi-circular plugs and install in cylinder head (if removed). Before installing valve cover, apply sealant at front and rear areas of cylinder head. See Fig. 5.

CAUTION: Ensure service bolt "A" is removed from sub-gear on exhaust camshafts.

Ok I followed all the procedures but the exhaust cam on the passenger side snapped in half twice while I was putting it in any idea why? Crank is at tdc I pushed all the valve springs down with a big bar and they all went down except one and after I took off the little valve spring cover I tried it again and it went down any idea why it might be doing this? Parts aren't cheap want to avoid this problem when I get the new cam tomorrow

Alfredm8702
When installing the cam, the holder has to be evenly and slowly tightened. Make sure the cam goes down evenly. Due to the cam lobe positions, some would be pushing against the valves whilst some would not and the cam would tend to be unbalanced. You have to make sure it goes in balanced.

You must not push the valves as one of the piston would be at TDC and if you push too hard, you would damage the valves. To test if the valves moves, you need to move the piston away from TDC.

The best way to go about is to move the piston away from TDC while you are installing the camshafts and after it is installed and aligned correctly, turn the crankshaft back to its TDC position.

Page 1 of 2