DRIVER WINDOW ONLY GOES DOWN, DOESN'T GO UP.

1996 Suzuki Sidekick • 150,000 miles

I've had the wiring reversed once so that pressing the button down makes it go up, then I had it wired back to normal and the guy at the shop told me I needed to go to a parts sale and replace my button unit. I did just that but the window still only goes down, it won't go up -- so I'm starting to think this wasn't a problem with the unit to begin with.

The motor is probably OK since the window goes down easily and reversing the wires made it go up, so I'm thinking it's a wiring problem. But if it's not the driver-side button unit, then what could it be?
Throstur

If you reversed the wires and the widow would go up but not down it still sounds like the switch to me. Try borrowing the passenger switch and see what it does just to rule out the switch for good.

ProAutoTech
I concur with 2carpros

The passenger switch only has one button (window up/down) but the drivers switch has driver window, passenger window and the lock buttons, will I have to take precautions or do any specific placement, or is there a particular passenger door that is most suitable (is there a difference in taking from drivers side rear door and passenger side front door?)

In the meanwhile as I wait for your answer I will jimmy the switches out of the doors, thanks.

Throstur
Just make sure you're only connecting the right switch. If the plugs are different, you may need to make makeshift jumper wires for the test.

ProAutoTech
Well, I went out and tried and took a look at the switches. I tried plugging the passenger one to the driver door but unfortunately the driver door (as seen in picture) is a lot bigger than the passenger one. I don't have any wires or conducting tools so I was unable to emulate the test. I found it peculiar that one of the holes didn't have a wire in it but looking at the switches, they didn't have wires in that spot either.

Throstur
Just a generic plug. Find some wire for the test and let me know how it goes.

ProAutoTech
I suppose this won't go any further, I've already ransacked the storage area and there are no wires of any kind or any electronic device that can be disassembled available to me at this time. I'll have to call the shop on Monday.

Thanks for the support!

Throstur
Speaker wire, paper clips, jumper cables and nails? Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

ProAutoTech