MY CAR KEEPS OVER HEATING AND GETTING STEAM INSTEAD OF FLUID IN THE COOLING PIPES

1996 Subaru Legacy • 190,000 miles

I have replaced my thermostat waterpump and did a flush. My head gasket seems to be fine no creamy oil color of oil in my over flow. I will be driving the car and will lose heat then it will start over heating. I open the radiator cap and it is cold but has preasure I open the radiator plug on the other side of radiator and just steam comes out.
Ryanalexson

Could be air in the system or you do have a head gasket issue. You can get a leak down test done to confirm.

Where would the air come from im not leaking and it keeps sucking my whole entire over flow bone dry

Ryanalexson
If it is burning coolant, that would explain.

Why did you replace the pump? Did it overheat on you?

It was leaking I thought it was my head market bit a guy I know who works on subaru said it was a bad water pump and not head market. How can checks head market and what would cause the first to burn off like that

Ryanalexson
You need to bleed the system otherwise you are going to damage the head gasket sooner or later.

BLEEDING

1. Remove air vent plug from radiator. See Fig. 13.
2. Fill engine coolant up to filler neck position of radiator.
3. Fill engine coolant to upper level (full line) of reservoir tank.
4. Close both the radiator cap and the reservoir tank cap properly.
5. Reinstall air vent plug.
6. Run engine for more than five minutes at 2000 to 3000 RPM, until engine is completely warm.
7. Stop engine. Before inspecting fluids, allow temperature to drop to a safe level and perform the following procedure: a) Add engine coolant to filler neck position if levels have dropped in the radiator.
B) Add engine coolant to upper level (full line) if levels have dropped in the reservoir tank.
C) Close both the radiator cap and the reservoir tank cap properly.

If coolant keeps dropping, you would need to check for leaks. Keep heater turned on while running engine.

Ive done that twice and I just keeps sucking all the coolant out from the over flow

Ryanalexson
You need to keep doing until air is completely bled out of system.