DRIVERS POWER WINDOW

1996 Plymouth Breeze

The drivers door power window does not work. The motor is not cranking at all. I have tried resetting the fuse with no luck. All other windows work which leaves me to believe it is not the fuse. Other suggestions?
Offer0714

If the other windows work from the driver's switch assembly, you know the wiring is okay. That leaves the switch and the motor as suspects. There are four sets of contacts in each switch, and if any one of them is burned or pitted, the window will not move in one direction. If the window is all the way up already, watch the dome light when you try to run it up more. If it dims a little, that means the motor is trying to run so you know it's good. That leaves the switch as the problem. On the other hand, if the dome light dims too when trying to run it down, something is stuck in the motor or regulator.

The next step is to remove the door panel and measure the voltages on the two wires to the motor. Take four readings, measure on both wires while pressing the "up" button, and two readings while pressing the "down" button.

Being a 1996 model that was probably sold in 1995, that's around 16 years in service, and, being the driver's window, it was most likely the window most operated. My bets are on a failed armature-to-motor brush interface. The commutator is probably dirty (if not burned), and the brush pressures are probably very low, if there is any brush material left at all. The bottom line is, you probably need a new motor!

Gizmoguy