WHERE IS THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ON A CERIA WITH A 2.2

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera • 200,000 miles

I had the computer read and it gave me a PO335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit malfunction, PO341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range and Performance B1, and Evaperative Emission system Incorrect purge flow. I was told that the place to start was with the Crankshaft position sensor, but I don't know where it is. I was told that its easy to replace but I am having a hard time finding anything on where it is or how to replace it. I need to get my car back on the road so any help would be great, thank you
Nate_81

Center rear of engine below ignition control module.

Rivermikerat
I think that I found the Crankshaft Position Sensor but I have no idea on how to get to it, let alone get it out. How do I get it out and replace it?

Nate_81
ENGINE CONTROLS - REMOVE/INSTALL/OVERHAUL - 3.1L -1996 Oldsmobile Ci.
Page 1 of 1
CRANKSHAFT (3X) POSITION SENSOR (DIS)

Removal & Installation

1.
Disconnect negative battery cable. Turn steering wheel to left, and raise and support vehicle (if necessary). Remove starter motor (if necessary). Remove intermediate exhaust pipe, and rack and
pinion heat shield (if necessary). Remove generator cooling duct sensor (if necessary). Disconnect sensor harness connector. Remove sensor mounting bolt. Remove sensor from engine
block. Inspect sensor "O" ring for wear, cracks or other damage. Replace as necessary. Lubricate NEW "O" ring with engine oil before installing. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten
sensor bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
2.

1/8/2012

Page 1 of 1
CRANKSHAFT (24X) POSITION SENSOR (DIS)

Removal & Installation

1.
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove serpentine belt from crankshaft pulley. Raise and support vehicle.
Remove crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt. Using Balancer Remover (J-24420-B), remove harmonic balancer. Disconnect sensor harness connector. Remove sensor bolts. Remove sensor.
To install, reverse removal procedure. Apply Thread Sealer (GM 1052080) to threads of harmonic balancer bolt. Tighten sensor and harmonic balancer bolts to specification. See TORQUE
SPECIFICATIONS.
2.
3.

1/8/2012

Rivermikerat
Nate, did you get this handled?

Rivermikerat
I replaced the sensor, I have also replaced the ignition control module, ignition coils, wires and plugs and it is still does not always want to start. I have not started the car in 4 days I went out and it started pretty quick. At other times it will not start at all and when I check it has no spark. I have checked and rechecked the connections and the wires and they are tight. I am at a loss. Any ideas would be helpful.

Nate_81