P0341 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR AND P0336 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera • 72,000 miles

My 96 Olds Cierra has two codes coming up. Till recently I just ignored it. It just started to idle hard and stalled twice on idle. I figured its time to put a new camshaft sensor in, would that solve both codes? I cleared them a couple of times the 0341 comes on right away, however the 0336 takes some time.

Other symptoms, 1) upon start up some times there is a knocking sound from inside the engine, 2) I hit the gas lightly and as it accelerates the car feels like its jerking forward very slightly but in like 5-10 second intervals (if I hit the gas hard I don't have this problem) not the transmission.

What so you think? I have the car for only a year 74,000 miles on it!
Thanks A lot!
Mills22

What the PO 341 I would check the spark plugs and wires first. For black carbon on the spark plug wire meets the plug

Also check the spark plugs for carbon tracking etc.

I will check that, although I replaced plugs and wires a couple of months ago.

Mills22
Which engine do you have the 2.2 or the 3.1?

3.1

Mills22
Forget about the plugs and wires since there so new.I posted the trouble tree for those two codes let me know what you find.

I checked the wires and the problem I found was the camshaft sensor was the issue. I just replaced it today and its working fine check engine light went off.
Thanks for the diagrams they were very helpful.
I was wondering if you have a diagram for my cars pressure cycling switch. My clutch engages but doesn't cycle on and off. It isn't on the accumulator. The diagram I have shows it on the accumulator. Thanks again.

Mills22
Your welcome that's what were here for. Some ac systems will only cycle off if the pressure becomes too high or too low. So unless you have auto climate control it probably doesn't cycle normally.

I thought if its staying on the pressure will keep on building up. What will happen if it builds up to much? Can it brake/explode? Will it freeze up?

Mills22
The condensor fan helps keep the pressure from getting too high. The only reason the pressure gets too high is from a condensor not getting enough air flow thru the fins a restriction in the line etc overcharge etc. The pressure switch turns the compressor off if the pressure gets too high or too low. The switches don't fail that often if you hooked up a gauge set you could see the pressure for yourself what its doing