1.3 GX AUTOMATIC KANGAROOS AND MAKES SQUEAKING SOUND AT LOW SPEEDS

1996 Nissan Micra • 38,000 miles

When slowing down in traffic, approaching traffic lights and turning into bends at low speeds (around 5-10MPH) my car kangaroos; feels like it's going to stall (but doesn't) and makes this "squeaking" sound at the front.
I have had the brakes checked and the mechanic says that the brake shoes (or pads) will need replacing in the next couple of months as they are about 3/4 worn. He cannot find what is causing the above symptoms though.
Any suggestions of what the problem might be would be appreciated.
Mgddann

You could have the brake heat sheild rubbing against the rotor. With brakes cool, try to see if there is any near contact, as load will make the heat shield get closer to the rotor for example going around a turn, look especially closely at the lower ball joint as the shield between the ball joint and rotor is a tight fit.
Try to bed it away but keep in mind when you bend it away in one place, it will bend closer in another.
You make also need new brakes and the pad sensor is squeaking.
Below is a link to a wlk through diagnostic of , "Squeaking" type noises and there most likely symptopms. Cpoy it into the address window of your browser.

Here is the link;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-squeaking-noise

Check the wheel bearing freeplay and lug nut torquing as well

Thank you very much for both of the above replies. I will get a mechanic to check these, as I am totally clueless about cars.
Would the brake heat sheild rubbing against the rotor or wheel bearing and lug nut torquing issues cause the car to "kangaroo"? Kangarooing happens even when I don't put my foot on the breaks. Just easing off the accelerator at a slow speed will cause it to kangaroo.

Mgddann
A bad wheel bearing and/or improperly torqued lugnuts can cause the problem. The backing plate would cause the squeaking noise.