MERCURY MYSTIQUE STEERING PROBLEM

1996 Mercury Mystique • 10,330 miles

When I turn the steering wheel when drive and or at idle under my feet it makes a thump u can feel it under your feet in the car and can see the floor mats shake and move around I'm planning to drive approx 70 miles tonight is this safe to do so please respond asap
Sullum100

It sounds like a bad motor mount. Have it checked to confirm.

Because it is a safety issue, I would say it needs checked before driving. As far as possible problems, it sounds like the rack and pinion may be loose.

Thank you I'd rather not drive it and be safe, also if the floor mat is jammed up the steering column how wold u resolve this. U can't hear a noise but rather a feel under my feet when I turn wheel

Sullum100
The floor mat? Can't you pull it out?

I just took car for test drive,
When I started my car in garage I turned the wheel no thumps below my feet, so I took it for a drive and nothing appears to be happening now, while it was earlier today
Also last week I got stuck in my parents driveway in a ditch and got towed out with my rear hooks from. A jeep, I believe my steering column got out of shape because the wheel isn't straight now, so maybe that is contributing to this weird problem?

Sullum100
If your steering isn't straight now, that tells me the alignment has been affected. You need to have all steering components checked on the front end. In particular, have the tie rods checked. It sounds like something bent.