MERCADES BENZ C280

1996 Mercedes Benz 280 • 100,000 miles

You are not going to believe this. The cable for the engine hood has come off. As you would guess not at the handle latch. It came off under the hood by the locking mechenanism. HOW do I get this hood open? I'm in the Philippines and havecalled Benz dealers in Manila. Thet haven't got a clew either. Got all kinds of excusess, but no jnowledge. Not even maint books. Gave them everything including chassy # WHICH begins 202022. HOWever if I drive it to Manila they are willing to look at it. Needless to say I do not live anywhere close to Manila. It has one lock located right in center of hood. Right under mercades hood symbol. Radiator and A/C condnser prevent me from just going between grill work. Yes, have tried to pull cable alone. Very free moving, just not attached to anything. Love to hear what you guys got in mind. Have to put in oill sometime. Edie
Eddie gebele

You'll have to go through the grill or underneath the car to gain access to the latch mechanism.

Of course this won't be easy and you'll have to find which tool to use by trial and error. But on the latch is a trip mechanism where the cable connected to in the first place.

If you can get a long enough screw driver/prybar/pick/etc, you'll be able to trip the lock.

Good luck.

Ernest Clark
Hi there, bit of a problem this, as the locking mechanism is well hidden from below and through the grille is not a real option either, I would get a panel shop to have a look, I think that viewing the problem first hand may be easier than doing this one on line.

Mhpautos