NOISE FROM FAN AREA

1996 Jeep Cherokee • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 206,000 miles

!996 Jeep Cheroke, 4 cylinder 206,000 miles. Loud click/churp noise coming from fan. I was thinking input shaft bearing becuse when I press my clutch in sound would go away. Now, it's consistent. When car is cold no sound, when it heats up, sound evident. I opened hood and am 90% sure sound is coming from fan. I am baffled. Any thoughts?
Frogca

This will work to pin down locations of noises sometimes.

Many times you are "Off", in where the sound is actually coming from.

If you think it could be a fan or motorized accessory, while the noise is happening, pull it's fuse or unplug it. Just to eliminate it from the equation

To eliminate all belt driven stuff--or maybe some of the mechanical's of the engine. Take the belt off for a minute or two, see if it persists. Remember this may also drive your water pump, so do not do it for a long time!

And last, I get laughed at for this one, cause it ain't technical or nor does it require "ASE Certification". But it will probably be the one that locates it.

With a 3-4 foot long piece of 1/2--3/4 heater hose or garden hose, cram one end in your ear, use the other like a stethoscope.

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING PARTS--THEY WILL PUT A HURTIN' ON YA!

When you described the "clutch thing", that sorta tends to make one believe your crankshaft may be "thrusting" fore and aft. Aft maybe a pulley or bearing rubbing. Fore, you are pushing it forward and relieving the rub.

I hope it's something really stupid, and a EZ fix

Let me know what you figger out!

The Medic