CAR WONT START

1996 Honda Ballade • 180,000 miles

Car refused to start the other morning, so I assumed it was either the starter or the battery.I had it checked out and it is all good.

When turning the key I see the malfunction light coming on and hear a click noise but when when the key is turned full it is just dead.

What I did notice when the car eventually started after a couple of key turns is that I heard that click noise with another noise something like maybe a pump noise and it started, without hearing the second sound the car refuses to start.

What could this problem be. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Saint

Could be a starter. You will have to test for power arriving on the small wire at the starter with the key in "start" position.

Wrenchtech
I did check that and there is power to the starter. Tried starting it again and it only starts when I hear the pump at the back come on.

Saint
If you have power to the trigger wire when the key is held in "start" and it still doesn't crank, you have a bad starter.

Wrenchtech
Check the ignition switch.

I did and it is all fine

Saint
If the engine cannot crank, it is a simple circuit to check. Ignition switch, wiring to starter and starter itself. Others would be the PNP or Neutral start switch depending if it is auto or manual transmission.

How did you test the ignition switch and when the test passed, were you able to start then?

One thing I forgot, check the battery terminals for cleanliness and secureness. Clean and retighten if necessary.