WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IF TIMING BELT FAILS OR NO DAMAGE AT ALL AND ENGINE JUST STOP WORKING?

1996 Holden Jackaroo • 222,000 miles

I just bought a Hold Jackroo 1996 with mileage of approx 222000km. I have no previous record re timing belt, eg. When it was changed last time. My mechanic checked timing belt and said it is still very tight and in good working condition so he hesitated to replace it. My question is if timing belt is due to be replaced and is not done, and timing belt dose brake while the engine is running, then what kind of damage the timing belt failurs may cause to the engine? Or no damage at all and engine just stop working? A further question is what kind of check can be done and how often as a precaution re possible coming timing belt failure so it can be replaced in time before timing belt failurs occure? Thanks for your help.
Kaiyangkai

If this is an interference fit motor then the vlaves will bend or break. If not then not much. If you replace it get a kit, it should include a new tensioner, waterpump if belt driven and belt

Thanks. Then, then my question should be what kind of engine my 1996 Holden Jackroo have? An interference fit moto or not? If it is, then I might need to replace timing belt now to avoid damage to engine due to timing belt failure, otherwise I can wait. And if my Jackroo's engine is not an interference fit motor, could you reply to my other question as well: "what kind of check can be done and how often as a precaution re possible coming timing belt failure so it can be replaced in time before timing belt failurs occure?" Thanks for your help.

Kaiyangkai
All Jackaroo engines with timing belts are Interference engines, you will do valve damage, replace belt if due, Belt due at 100,000Km intervals.

Mhpautos