GMC JIMMY TOOL PROBLEM

1996 GMC Jimmy • 135,000 miles

I just bought this truck and it didn't want to shift any higher than 2nd. Gear. It was in "limp" mode so my husband changed out both of the Trans solenoids and trans filter. The truck ran great shifting and everything for about 40 miles and than went back into "limp" mode. We got the code 1886 when we scanned it. He took out the computer and replaced it and it ran great for another 20+ miles and than back to "limp" mode again. Any idea what to check next and how?
Beatricemayvillegas

So what is the current code it has now?Please include the letter with the code also.

The only code it has is P1886

Beatricemayvillegas
Oh, when I said he took out the computer and replaced it, I meant he put the same one back in again, NOT that he had changed it for a new one

Beatricemayvillegas
I posted the trouble tree for that code its going to be a little hard to do the trouble tree without a scan tool that can command the solenoid etc. Are you sure he replaced the 3-2 shift solenoid?And not a different one?

Yes, he replaced both solenoids

Beatricemayvillegas
The trouble I posted will lead you to the problem but like I said it requires a scan tool that you can command the 3-2 shift solenoid on and off.

Took it to the local mechanic and he said the solenoids are working properly. This problem ONLY happens after the vehicle has ran a few miles. It works fine for the first 4-5 miles and than goes into Limp mode. He said there is no wiring problems at all. What else could be causing this problem?

The trouble tree I posted really has to be performed when the problem is happening to properly diagnose the problem. Did they command the 3-2 solenoid on and off 3 times and listen at the pan for it turning on and off when it was having the problem?This isnt a easy heres the problem it really has to be looked and the trouble tree I posted followed by someone that has the proper tools and can do it.

Yes, he is a licensed mechanic and has been in business for years. He did command thw solenoids and said they are functioning. The only thing he has not done is change out the computer because he didn't want to put a new one in it and have the same problem. Is there a way to test the computer itself to see if that is the problem? Also, this is only happening when the vehicle is hot.

The only way to test the pcm is to follow the trouble tree and see where it leads so when the guy followed the trouble where did it lead him to for the problem?