FUEL GAUGE INCONSISTENCIES

1996 Ford Probe • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 88,000 miles

1996 Ford Probe GT.

Inconsistent fuel gauge readings especially after making turns and stops. More noticeable after 1/2 tank. The gauge will go done and after driving will move back up a bit.

Consumer guide states: "The fuel gauge may read 3/4 full when the tank is full because of the fuel line return is bent and interferes with the sender in the tank".

Sometimes during a cold start, the engine idles a bit rough with slight sputtering, then it idles smoothly.

Things I've done:

• Changed spark plugs (gaped) and distributor cap - runs better

• changed fuel filter

• Replaced boost sensor - ran better

• Got a code for the MAF unit (Mass Air Flow). I cleaned it. It ran better but got code again after 150 miles.

• Added fuel system cleaner for a long trip.
Lrymcd

Sounds like you need to check and test the fuel sending unit/also the wiring

WHAT CODE DID YOU GET FOR THE MAF (RAZ THIS MIGHT BE YOU!) NOT CHANGIN' THE AIR FILTER. WOULD THAT MAYBE MESS WITH THE MAF?--OR AFTER THE 1ST TIME CLEANING, CLEAN AGAIN OR REPLACE IT?

I did check on a new MAF, that puppy ain't real cheap, at least you could get the core back. You might take a "chance" at a Auto Salvage Yard, at the "Self Serve" type, things like that are $5-$10
Install one of these on your rig. You will never be without fuel!

I never worry! I have made a few $$$, pulling them off, to gas up other folks stranded on the road! I always have lawnmower fuel!

The Medic