FORD FAIRMONT BATTERY PROBLEM

1996 Ford Fairmont • 475,123 miles

My car wont start or turn over. Then when releasing the ignition start, the power flickers off and on as it makes a clicking noise. This continues for about 10-30 seconds till the power comes right. The fuses and relays seem alright. I then searched for any loose wiring connections under the steering wheel and engine bay with no problems. So my first thought was the starter motor, which didnt explain the power flicking off and on. Any idea whats on going on here.
Aaniani1

COULD BE SEVERAL THINGS

WEAK OR BAD BATTERY......WOULD BE THE 1ST THING TO CHECK

WE MIGHT EVEN HAVE A STARTER ISSUE.......THIS WOULD BE ONE OF THE LAST THINGS TO REMOVE AND HAVE TESTED (AS IT'S NOT AS EZ....AS THE OTHER STUFF TO CHECK

THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A RELAY OR SOLENOID PROBLEM

CAN YOU TEST YOUR BATTERY VOLTAGE YOURSELF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7P3qNHcE

BETTER STILL HAVE A FULL BLOWN TEST PERFORMED ON IT AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE (SEE PIC)....USUALLY THIS IS A FREE SERVICE......IN OR OUT OF THE VEHICLE

IF IT'S NOT THE BATTERY......."I'M" GOING WITH A BAD STARTER OR BAD CONNECTION

AGAIN, IF YOU SNATCH IT OFF, A POPULAR PARTS STORE, WILL TEST IT FOR FREE.....'ROUND HERE ANYWAY!

OR RUN BACK THRU MY "TOUGH LOVE" POST (LINK BELOW)......MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO BECOME "BLIND" WHEN IT COMES TO SCRUTINIZING THEIR OWN CONNECTIONS.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

NOT LONG AGO, A FELLER TOLD ME HE WAS HAVING A "CRANK UP ISSUE".....AND THAT HE HAD "CHECKED EVERYTHING"

I OPENED THE HOOD OF A CARPOINTED TO THE "HEAPING PILES" OF WHITE AND GREENISH POWDERY STUFF ALL OVER THE BATTERY POSTS AND CLAMPS

I SAID, "WONDER WHAT THAT STUFF IS???"

HE SAID, " I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD KNOW, BUT I DON'T THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT NOT STARTING"

SEE WHAT I MEAN??????

ACTUALLY DO THIS STUFF---NOT JUST "LOOK" THEN COMMENT ON IT!

KEEP US POSTED

Yes sorry, I did forget to mention that the battery is 1 of those superchargers with the high an low voltage indicator. Green indicating high, white medium, and red low voltage. My indicators reading green.

Aaniani1
Are you sure the battery terminals are clean and tight and you have a good solid ground to the engine block?

..........BATTERIES CAN FOOL YOU

SNATCH IT OUT---GET IT LOAD TESTED

NOT GOOD WHEN YOU TEAR THE WHOLE RIG APART---SPEND MEGA $$$s----FIND OUT IT COULDA BEEN AVOIDED IN THE BEGINNING

ONE OF MY EXAMPLES IN THE LINK BELOW

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1981-lincoln-mark-vi-would-car-run-fine-idol-park-stop-key-turned-off

JUST TRYING TO KEEP THE BASES COVERED

KEEP US POSTED

Yes, terminals are tight with solid ground connection. Iv now noticed that before I deactivate the alarm n immobillzer while ignition is on, only the right indicater is flicking off and on instead of both (which these smartlocks normally do). Does this ring a bell. Switchin the hazard lights on showed that both indicater lights are working. But yep il get the battery tested to confirm this, cheers guys thanks for that.

Aaniani1
Just 1 last thing was that when I removed the terminals from the battery, the negative 1 was quite hot or just below were the positive was normal. Does that mean anything odd?

Aaniani1
It sounds like you either have a bad connection or the starter is drawing too many amps.

Big surprise. It was the battery. It turns out that the charged indicator was faulty. The test showed that the battery was at 3% power so I charge it, connect it up and nothing. Problem not solved. So now iv got to buy a new 1 in the hope that the battery was the problem.

Aaniani1
. SO YOU OWE ME LUNCH. See line two of my 1st answer!

I LIKE "KRYSTALS". THE WIFE LIKES "OUTBACK"!

WE'LL GO IN ONE OF MINE. WAY MORE RELIABLE

. COULD JUST TAKE "WILLY", MY '46 WILLYS, IF THE BATTERY WIMPS OUT, THE STARTER WON'T TURN IT OVER.

WE HAVE OTHER OPTIONS. AS MY NOW 25 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER DEMONSTRATES.(WHEN SHE WAS 10), AND JUST HAD MASTERED DRIVING HIM

GLAD YOU GOT 'ER DONE!

I WAS SORTA GENTLE ON THIS ONE, ON OTHER POSTS, I SOMETIMES GO ALL OUT WITH THE "REAL JEEP" PROMOTING!

NO NEED IN BREAKING YOURS AGAIN TO COME SEE US, BREAK YOUR BUDDY'S, THEN RETURN!

DID IT TAKE THAT LAST LITTLE "PUSH" TO GET YOU TO SNATCH IT OUT AND GET IT TESTED. THAT'S THE BAD THING ABOUT MAN MADE STUFF. YOU JUST CAN'T TRUST IT. EVEN BRAND NEW STUFF CAN BE BAD

USUALLY DON'T APPLY WITH JEEPS THOUGH. THEY ARE HEAVEN SENT!

NOW THEN

..........I HELP YOU SOME MORE!

THE INFO IN THIS LINK, MIGHT ALSO AID YOU

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

"A124" WAS WORKING STILL, A FEW DAYS AGO

I'VE SAVED MEGA BUCKS, DOING THIS, I BOUGHT TWO BATTERIES NOT TOO LONG AGO, SAVED $40 ON EACH ONE

ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS...JUST ASK!