OD LIGHT FLASHES

1996 Ford F-350 • V8 2WD Automatic • 116,000 miles

1996 Ford F-350 mileage: 116,000. OD light starts flashing every once in a while. Then transmission shifts rough. Took to transmission guy, he said transmission was fine; it was some kind of other problem Code he gave me was P1728. Ford dealer today told me code says slippage and need new transmission or overhaul. When you unhook battery, for few minutes, it resets itself and then the truck runs great, no problems with transmission shifts until the next time. I have found a lot of people on the Internet with same problem, haven't found anyone who had solution. Can you help?

2CarPros-Archives

P1728 indicates that the transmission is slipping. When the computer that controls the transmission detects a fault code like P1728, it will put the transmission into a "limp" mode. When you unhooked the battery, the code is cleared and the transmission will function properly until the slippage occurs again. To resolve this problem, you will need to get your transmission overhauled.

2CarPros-Archives