TRANSMISSION

1996 Ford F-250 • 241,000 miles

I have a 1996 f250 7.3, VF5 speed. 3 & 4 has been going out slowly for a while now. I have looked into getting a new transmission for my truck, but I have been told by a few people that if I could find a VF5 speed in a f250 460 that I could remove the bell housing and bolt that transmission to the bell housing on my truck and that it would work, is that true?
BritG

I believe the gear ratio is different for the gas model verus the diesel.

You will notice a difference in performance.

Okay so we just replaced the turbo in my truck. We started the truck and everything sounded fine, then it starts making a loud knocking noise, we believe it was in the transmission because whenever I would accelerate the knocking would speed up, and whenever I would go to shift it would slow back down, and as soon as I would give it gas the knocking would get faster, and if I would rev it the noise would have to catch up to the sound of the engine. I have looked up somethings, but most of the people describe the noise as going away when they would accelerate and mine is the exact opposite. Some people have said the flywheel could be lose or it could be an injector. We're all kind of stumped and dont know what to think of this whole thing. But the motor sounds fine, because whenever we would turn it off and restart it the knocking wouldn't start for at least 30 seconds.

BritG
Are you sure it is not the lower end of the motor?

We don't think its the motor, just because of the fact that if it was the motor wouldn't it start knocking right when I start it? But when I start it motor sounds completely fine, then maybe 30 secs to 1 min after I start it, it start clunking. You can hear the motor rev and then you hear the knocking noise as well. It just doesn't sound like the motor. How could you check if it was the lower end of the motor?

BritG
A trained ear. Not much in the trans to make noise except the torque converter. The flywheel may be cracked but will do it right away.

Do a manual oil pressure check to confirm the motor is being lubed very well

Is there a possibility that it could be an injector. I was watching some videos of powerstrokes and they said they replaced an injector and it solved the problem and how those trucks sound is exactly like how my truck is sounding

BritG
It is possible the tip came off of an injector. You will need a truck shop to check that for you. Very expensive guess