FORD F-150 BATTERY PROBLEM

1996 Ford F-150 • 167,000 miles

Hello how do I replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder or Tumbler in the 1996 Ford F150? The key goes in bent and it can be difficult to turn so I was going to replace the cylinder.

Thanks!
Rmoore09

Removal

Disarm Airbag. Disconnect battery ground cable.
Turn lock cylinder key to RUN position.

Removing Lock Cylinder

Place a 3.17 mm (1/8 inch) diameter wire pin or small drift punch in hole in trim shroud under lock cylinder. Depress retaining pin while pulling out on lock cylinder to remove it from column housing.

Installation

Install lock cylinder by turning it to RUN position and depressing retaining pin. Insert lock cylinder into lock cylinder housing. Make sure cylinder is fully seated and aligned in interlocking washer before turning key to OFF position. This will permit cylinder retaining pin to extend into cylinder housing hole.
ROTATE lock cylinder. Using lock cylinder key, to ensure correct mechanical operation in all positions.
Connect battery ground cable.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with Powertrain Control Module (PCM), when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the PCM processor relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the strategy.

Rearm Airbag.