HOW DO I DRAIN MY TORQUE CONVERTER

1996 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 85,000 miles

1996 Ford Explorer 2WD mileage: 85,000. I am going to change the transmission fluid for the second time in the vehicle. I had no problems the first time, however I only drained the transmission, not the torque converter. I looked for a drain plug in the converter but could not find one. I would like to drain all the fluid this time around. Any suggestions on how to drain all the fluid from both transmission and torque converter?

2CarPros-Archives

Assuming you have checked the torque converter for a drain plug, then there is nothing you can do to drain the fluid from the torque converter. Changing the fluid and the filter in the rest of the transmission will replace enough of the degraded fluid with new fluid so that it makes it unnecessary to drain the fluid in the torque converter.

2CarPros-Archives
There is no access hole for a drain. Only ways to do it is to do a partial drop and refill as the other person answered, or going to a reputable shop and getting a transmission flush service where the fluid is removed at the same time new fluid is pumped in (an exchange)and all fluid is changed that way.

Mjr346