DODGE TRUCK STARTER PROBLEM

1996 Dodge Truck • 170,000 miles

My truck has been running fine but last week the starter stuck on and I had to unhook the battery to stop it, when I hooked it back up the starter worked OK, but now it turns over but it won't start.
Mjstolllivecom

Press the gas pedal 1/4". The Engine Computer has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it has to be in control of idle speed. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals.

The contacts in the starter solenoid are worn and the plunger can get wedged between them. Many hardware stores and farm and home stores have kits with the contact plunger and four contacts. You use the two that match what is in there now.

Are you saying the starter was cranking even with engine running? Was the starter cranking with the key off? Maybe an issue with ignition switch? You would have to check starter circuit wiring when problem is ongoing.

If it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the spark plugs. If no spark, check for primary voltage at the coil. Can you check for applicable mil codes? You may be able to check codes, yourself. You turn the key till the dash lites come on, no further. Cycle the key, on--off, on--off, on, then the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. Let us know what you find.

10K posts was a milestone for me, here you are over 11K. Lol, Have a good day.

Hi JDL. I'm hibernating for the winter and just sitting at the computer all day long.