DODGE RAM IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

1996 Dodge Ram • 150,000 miles

The ignition key spins freely no start crank or accessory is this the lock cylinder which appears to have a switch attached and how to replace assy. Thanks dan wisc.

Most likely it has a cracked cam on the end of the lock cylinder. Typically it just causes a no-crank condition because it prevents the switch from turning far enough to hit the "crank" position. The dealer has a repair kit so you don't have to buy a new cylinder and have it coded to your keys, (which the dealer's parts department people can do too pretty quickly and at low cost). You get a new cam, then have to finish drilling a hole to insert a small roll pin.

Once you have the plastic trim covers off, you'll see a silver roll pin, about 3/16" in diameter pointing up toward your face. Push that in further about 1/8" to release the cylinder. I can't remember if the key has to be in or out. Once the repair is completed, push the cylinder all the way back in and turn it to "crank" with the key, like normal. That will cause the roll pin to push back out and lock the cylinder in place.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Make sure air-bag is disabled.
If equipped with a tilt column, remove the tilt lever by turning counterclockwise.
Remove upper and lower covers from steering column.
Remove the ignition switch mounting screws. Use tamper resistant torx bit, to remove screws. The autostores sell these type bits.
Pull the switch away from the column. Release the wiring harness connector, 7 wire.
Release the four wire connector.
Turn the key to the lock position, using the torx bit, remove the key cylinder retaining screw and bracket.
Rotate the key clockwise to the off position. The key cylinder will unseat from the ignition switch. When the key cylinder is unseated, it will be approximately 1/8 inch away from the ignition switch halo light ring. Do not remove the key cylinder at this time. With the key cylinder in the unseated position, rotate the key to counterclockwise to lock position and remove the key. Remove the key cylinder from ignition switch. Make sure the air-bag is disabled before doing anything. If part of lock cylinder is broke off, make sure it isn't lodged in the ignition switch.

Hey caradiodoc didn't see you, have a good day.

That's okay. I see me every day and it's no special treat!

Lol