COOLING FANS

1996 Chrysler Town and Country

Today I replaced air filter and some vaccum lines, The cooling fans come on and will not go off unless I turn car off, The temp Gage is not moving off cold either. I got to looking and found a ground wire that was not connected, So We connected it and then it turned into a hot wire. Fans went off when started, One fan runs when turn air on, The temp Gage does not move still. So car is not getting warm enough for other fan to kick on. I need help with this problem asap. Someone told me the temp sensor is ground. But I have no idea what that means. Please help
Esnipes

I would suspect the coolant temperature sensor (CTS). This sensor tells the cars computer how hot the coolant is so it can turn the cooling fans on when it needs to.
If the sensor is not working correctly you would have a gauge that does not work and the fans would not work correctly either.

Promechanic
So replace the CTS? On fixya they said it sounds like temp sensor is grounded what does that mean, They are not answering me.

Esnipes
I would check it out first. See if it is just disconnected or something.
If the sensor is grounded it just means that the wire that goes to the sensor is touching a ground (a metal part on the engine or another wire) and not getting a good connection to the sensor.

Promechanic
Could you please help me locate the cts? : ) I am sorry ladys just think they know it all but really I do not : )

Esnipes
Thanks for all your help, Ill take it to someone who can maybe fix it or figure it out. The dummy I have trying to work on it is the one who messed it up to begin with. Thanks a lot for your help.

Esnipes
On the 2.4L engine, the CTS is located on the thermostat housing.
On the 3.0L it is near the distributor.
On the 3.3L and 3.8L engines, it is next to the thermostat housing.
Use a cooling system thermometer to check how hot the coolant in the radiator is getting. Also look into the opening to make sure the coolant is flowing when the engine warms up. The coolant temperature should be between 180 and 200 degrees after driving for a little while.

Rivermikerat
I changed the temp sensor, Fans still running while car is on. I also changed relay as well. So I have no idea what the heck is going on.

Esnipes
The cooling fans are designed to run when the engine is on and at operating temperature. Using a cooling system thermometer, check to ensure that the coolant is circulating throughout the cooling system. If so, you don't seem to have an issue with the cooling system.

Rivermikerat
Its not showing signs of over heating, I just can not figure out why the fans are running the whole time the car is on. The temp gage will not even move from cold

Esnipes
You either have a problem with the temperature sensor or the ECM if the cooling fan is on even when the engine is first started. Make sure the AC is switched off as it will cause the fans to run continuously, even with the engine cold.

Rivermikerat