MY HAS A BUCK AND SPUTTER THEN SOMETIMES CUTS OFF...

1996 Chrysler Town and Country • 153,000 miles

My '96 Town and Country LXi (3.8L) has just recently begun to sputter and buck and then sometimes shut off. If I leave it to rest for a few minutes, it will start right back up, but then go back to sputtering especially on hills. It threw a service code for "crankshaft or camshaft sensor intermittent" and ignition coils. I replaced the coils, but it is still having problems. It doesn't seem to mind lower speeds, but after driving for awhile at 50+ it "gets angry."

Is there a reason it is doing this or do I need to replace one (or both) sensor(s)?
Red_mm

You have the classic symptom of working again after it cools down. That's how crankshaft position sensors typically fail. You even have the fault code to prove it. Camshaft position sensors seem to develop fewer problems.

Bucking on acceleration is also commonly caused by bad spark plug wires. That was real common in the early '90s on the 3.3L. The 3.8L uses all the same parts and systems so it stands to reason it can develop the same symptoms.