LEAKING WATER

1996 Chrysler Cirrus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 92,000 miles

1996 chrysler cirrus water coming from somewhere between firewall and engine. Heater core was replaced a couple weeks ago and hoses seem, to be fine
T. S.

Is it water or coolant? There should be clear water dripping when you run the air conditioner. That is the humidity from the air condensing on the cold evaporator in the dash and collecting in the drain pan where it drips onto the ground just inside the right front tire and a little behind it.

It is not from the ac

T. S.
I was acctually wondering if there is a freeze plug on the eng. That I cant see and maybe this is the prob.

T. S.
Are you seeing green? There are core plugs on the both sides of the engine but they don't corrode out very often unless the coolant hasn't been changed to get the harmful acids out. It's more likely the water pump is leaking and the coolant is running along the engine to where it drips onto the ground.

A pressure test might be helpful in locating the leak. Many auto parts stores will rent or borrow the tool. You can also add a bottle of dye, then search with a black light, but that is better suited for real slow leaks that don't leave much evidence behind.

Thanks I will give the pressure test a shot

T. S.
Ok well short of pulling the eng. Any suggestions on how I can fix a hole in the drain plug.

T. S.
Is that in the radiator or the side of the block?

Sorry I have to leave for a few hours. I'll look for your reply as soon as I get home later tonight.

It is in the block of course : ( on the firewall side of the eng. (I HATE FRT WHEEL DRIVE CARS) LOL. Not much room to work with up there. Ttys.

T. S.
I hated them too. Not Chrysler's finest work. I replaced a lot of rack and pinions and power steering hoses under warranty for noise complaints. ANY other Chrysler product is easier to work on.

I can't imagine how a drain plug would leak unless someone had it out to drain the coolant and didn't get it back in tight. Some teflon tape on the threads might help.

Reason I asked about the radiator is they had a rash of them from the supplier that would crack inside when the petcock was opened. After that they would drip about once every five seconds. The fix was a new radiator.

Well it is the original plug and I reached up under there and can see the stream of water and feel the little hole in the plug it must have rusted through I was just hoping that you might know the easiest way to fix it

T. S.
Page 1 of 2