RPM PROBLEMS WITH S10

1996 Chevrolet Truck • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 160,000 miles

My 1996 S-10 with a 6 has a periodic problem with the RPMs. That is, when I put my foot on the clutch while driving they RPM go up initially before dropping. When I am in gear they also stay up although I have my foot off the clutch or the transmission is in neutral. When I come to a stop the RPMs go down to idle. I have had sensor changed after a scanning but the problem returned.
Mvsophia

What sensor? What code?

Merlin2021
Replaced IAC valve (AC147) with new one. It made a difference for a few days and then the situation returned. Also had the dealership check and do the latest program but didn't find anything. Code 10653. It is quite strange. I had the throw bearing replaced a few months ago and the RPM situation went away but returned. Cheers, Craig

Mvsophia
I don't have a listing for that code? Codes come in several varieties "P" "B", "U" and "C" followed by four numbers like P0653 but it's not found, A vacuum leak or improper adjustment on the cam sensor are the two likley to upset your idle speed. By using a can of spray throttle body cleaner and spraying the vacuum lines and around the manifold seams, if the idle speed changes you found a leak, also check your EGR to make sure it's not sticking partially open. Check Brake booster hose and check valve.

Merlin2021