CHEVROLET TRUCK STEERING PROBLEM

1996 Chevrolet Truck • 180,000 miles

Have a 96 k3500 light duty with very eratic power steering. It's okay when cold but when fluid warms up it seems to bind up then gets too much of a boost which makes it very hard to control and very dangerous. I have changed the steering box but it didn't help. I bought a steering fluid pressure regulator(Standard part #PSS12), but can't find where it goes. Truck has hydro boost. Any ideas? Thanks, mooze
Mooze

You should flush out the booster and the power steering pump first to see if you get any better response. In most cases, you may have to replace the booster and the power steering pump.

What color is the power steering fluid? With the engine off, open the reservoir and use a screwdriver to scrape the bottom of the reservoir. Does it come back sludgy? If so, drain and flush the system completely. IF there is too much power assist FEEL, have the alignment checked and tell them to pay special attention to caster.

Rivermikerat