MY WONT START SOUNDS LIKE A DEAD BATTERY BUT WHEN I USE A JUMPBOX I GET THE SAME REULTS

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe • 179 miles

I already checked the wire conections from the battery and the fuses any idea what to try next
Daveandshann

The battery is more than likely having a major drop in voltage under load. Even with the jump box it is so much that it won't start your truck. If you have a multi-metter, test voltage while starting car and see if it drops. Or you can take battery to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and they will test it for free.

OTHER THAN WHAT WAS ALREADY SUGGESTED--THINGS YOU HAVE LOOKED AT ONCE. MAYBE DIG A LITTLE DEEPER

SOMETIMES IT'S JUST A MATTER OF GETTING IN THERE, AND GIVING IT SOME "TOUGH LOVE"

TRY THIS STUFF, BE DETERMINED WITH THE CONNECTIONS!

THIS IS SORTA GENERIC

YOU COULD HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS

INSURE YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD. AND ONCE YOU GET IT RUNNING, YOUR ALTERNATOR IS CHARGING (CAN BE CHECKED FOR FREE AT MOST AUTO PARTS STORES)

USUALLY ITS SOMETHING EZ TO DO--IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

YOU COULD HAVE FAULTY RELAYS OR FUSES. SAVE THE COMPLICATED CRAP FOR LAST! (IF ANY)

CHECK YOUR FUSES!---YOUR OWNERS MANUAL MAY SHOW YOU LOCATIONS THAT YOU KNEW NOTHING ABOUT!

REMOVE AND REPLACE "SUSPECT" FUSES SEVERAL TIMES--THIS MAY SCRAPE OFF CORROSION AND GIVE THEM BETTER CONTACT!

THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU, PROVIDED THAT YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD---OR YOU CAN BE JUMPED OFF. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BORROW YOUR NEIGHBOR "FRED'S" GOOD BATTERY OUTTA HIS TRUCK, FOR A TRIAL RUN

REMEMBER "NEW STUFF" CAN BE BAD TOO!

YOUR STARTER MAY BE BAD!

YOUR SOLENOID MAY BE BAD!

BATTERY COULD BE BAD!

MOST OF THE TIME, WHAT YOU READ BELOW IS USUALLY THE PROBLEM, YOU CAN FIND IT OR PAY SOMEONE THE BIG BUCKS TO FIND IT!

PEOPLE GET LAZY!----THEY DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS STUFF. JUST A QUICK GANDER FROM AFAR. AND NO HANDS ON

IT BITES 'EM IN THE BUTT. THEY COULDA BEEN RIDING LONG AGO!

****DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO DO ALL OF THIS*******

********TAKE STUFF LOOSE (REALLY!--EVERY ONE OF 'EM!)*********

CLEAN"SCOOCH" THE CONNECTORS AROUND----TIGHTEN THE NUTS OR BOLTS WELL, WIRE BRUSH, KNIFE BLADE, WHATEVER IT TAKES TO CLEAN A CONNECTION! DO NOT JUST PASS OFF ANY BIG CABLE CONNECTION AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".I MEAN MAN HANDLE EVERY CONNECTION EVERYWHERE!

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE BATTERY POSTS---CLAMPS---CABLE CONNECTIONS TO THE CLAMP (I'M TALKING ABOUT THE OLD STYLE "SQUEEZER" DEALEES, THAT HOLD THE CLAMP TO THE ACTUAL CABLE)

IF YOU HAVE SIDE POST TERMINALS---REMOVE THE BOLT THAT SCREWS INTO THE BATTERY FROM THE SIDE TERMINAL (IT WILL POP OUT OF THE RUBBER)--TURN THE RUBBER INSIDE OUT SCRUB THE FLAT CONNECTOR WITH A WIRE BRUSH OR SCRAPE IT WITH A KNIFE, TILL IT'S CLEAN---SAME FOR ITS MATING SURFACE ON THE BATTERY!

MANY TIMES THERE AIN'T MUCH SLACK IN THE CABLE----NO WHINING!---YOU GOTTA GET IT CLEAN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN SEE "GREEN CRAP" CAKED ON 'EM!

YEAH, IT'S NOT EZ TO GET IN THERE, BUT LOOK AT WHAT YOU WILL GO THRU IF YOU DON'T!

THIS IS WAR--YOU GOTTA CHECK IT ALL--ANY CONNECTION---POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE THAT A BIG CABLE BOLTS TO. GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!

IF A CABLE GOES TO A BOX--IT GOES ON THRU IT---CLEAN CONNECTIONS COMING AND GOING---TO WHERE EVER THEY GO!

EVENTUALLY YOU WILL REACH THE STARTER CONNECTION (POS)AND THE ENGINE/ BODY (NEG)

DON'T TELL THE SHOP, AS YOU GIVE 'EM YOUR $$$---WHILE WHINING---"I WAS TOLD TO CLEAN THAT CONNECTION, AND I DIDN'T!"

AS YOU PROGRESS, TRY TO CRANK HIM UP---YOU MAY FIND EXACTLY WHICH CONNECTION WAS THE PROBLEM!

I'VE SEEN THIS SAME CATASTROPHE, MANY MANY TIMES (I SAW IT NOT TOO LONG AGO), AS I WAS ABOUT TO "CAR DOLLY" A FRIEND'S TRUCK IN, THEN I DID THE CHECKS, IT WAS THE SIDE POSTS ON THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS). AND IT'S SO SIMPLE TO FIX. SAD THING, WHEN I GOT THERE, NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE 'CEPT AN ATTEMPTED JUMP START.I WAS GONNA HAVE TO PULL HIM 40 MILES, HE WASTED 3 HOURS OF MY TIME. LAZY, LAZY, LAZY

YOU COULD BE RUNNING BEFORE YOUR "CALVARY" ARRIVES!

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS!

OR YOUR FINDINGS AND WE WILL CONTINUE

SOME MORE STUFF I ADDED TO MAKE THIS POST MORE INFORMATIVE. AS I "LINK" A GOOD MANY PEOPLE TO READ IT

GRAB A HOLD TO THE BATTERY CLAMPS WITH YOUR HANDS AND FINGERS

IF YOU CAN TWIST 'EM EITHER WAY WHILE FORCIBLY TRYING---THEY NEED TO BE OPENED UP AND TAPPED FURTHER DOWN ON THE POSTS, THEN RE-TIGHTENED

IF THE CLAMP IS SQUEEZED TOGETHER AN TOUCHING (WON'T TIGHTEN ANY MORE---BOTTOMED OUT) REPLACE IT WITH A CLAMP THAT WON'T BOTTOM OUT (HAS A GAP AT THE JAW AFTER IT IS TIGHT)

IT'S TOO LOOSE IF YOU CAN MOVE IT BARE HANDED!

Checked every thing and had a bad ground. Thanks for the info William T. Doss (ywdoss@at. Net)

William T Doss
WITH THIS GOING ON---I JUST GOT NOTIFIED OF YOUR RESPONSE---A 2ND TIME!

GLAD YOU GOT IT FIXED. WAS ANY OF MY STUFF ANY HELP?

OUTTA ALL I ANSWER.I JUST REMEMBERED I WENT BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST WITH AN ANSWER