HUMMING/GRINDING SOUND IN REAR END

1996 Chevrolet S-10 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

My fiancee just replaced my back brakes and then the rear end seized up. He replaced the pinon gear bearings and now it is making a humming/grinding sound. What could be the problem?
Julie7979

DONE EXACTLY BY THE BOOK. OR SORTA "WINGING IT"?

WERE THE RACES REPLACED TOO?

BEARINGS CORRECTLY PRE-LOADED?

REASON IT SEIZED TO BEGIN WITH?

Yes it was done by the book. No the races were not replaced because it didn't come with them. The reason why it seized to begin with is because of lack of oil.

Julie7979
ROGER THAT,

RACES FOR SOME, MUST BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY

OLD RACES, HAVE TO BE MESSED UP! NO LONGER SMOOTH!....SORTA WAVY, IN THOUSANDTHS OF AN INCH.

RING AND PINION, AND THE CARRIER BEARINGS, AS WELL, MAY BE DAMAGED

SORTA LOOK AT MY "LACK OF LUBRICATION ISSUE", IN THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-jeep-wrangler-40l-squealing-noise-coming-from-transmission-or-transfer case

MY MAIN TRANSFER CASE, WAS WELL LUBED, THE TAIL SHAFT PORTION WAS NOT GETTING ANY.

A CLOSER INSPECTION OF ALL THE PARTS, I MENTIONED ABOVE, AND REPLACING, THE BAD STUFF MIGHT FIX YOU....IF THE DIY IS DONE CORRECTLY, YOU WILL STILL BE SAVING A GREAT DEAL....ANOTHER OPTION MIGHT BE AT THE AUTO SALVAGE YARD.

I DON'T LIKE BEING THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS....BUT I TRY TO SHOOT STRAIGHT...AS I WANT TO BE DONE, LIKEWISE.......UNFORTUNATELY, I CANNOT TELL YOU TO TIGHTEN SOMETHING, AND IT WILL ALL BE BETTER.

Well just an update I have to replace the whole rear end on my truck so I just thought that you would like to know

Julie7979
I'M GLAD YOU RESPONDED.

THINGS LIKE YOUR ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN, MAY LOOK LIKE CRAP FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT INSIDE, IT'S ALL ABOUT PRECISION. IF SOMETHINGS NOT ROLLING, MOVING, MESHING IN A MANNER TO REDUCE AS MUCH FRICTION AS POSSIBLE, IT WILL PREMATURELY FAIL!

AS IT STANDS, WITH EVERYTHING "NEAR PERFECT", IT'S GONNA FAIL SOONER OR LATER...WE JUST HOPE AND PRAY IT'S LATER!

LIKE I SAID, I'M GONNA GIVE YOU THE BEST INFO I AM CAPABLE OF, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW YOU.

MY DAUGHTER IS WAY OVER IN ARKANSAS...I DON'T WANT HER MISLED AND STRANDED IN A BAD SITUATION EITHER, DUE TO SOMEONE'S "SUGAR COATING" CRITICAL INFO SHE MAY NEED.

WHAT WAS THE DAMAGE?

I FEEL SURE THE "JUICE" HAS BEEN CHECKED IN THIS "NEWEST" ONE?!!

ANOTHER THING THAT SHOULD BE DONE, IS PULL YOUR DIPSTICK(S) WEEKLY, THINGS HAPPEN FAST, YOU MIGHT CATCH A PROBLEM, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!...BESIDES, MR. OWNER'S MANUAL TELL YOU THE EXACT SAME THING!

LOOK THIS OVER TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

SORRY, I WAS NOT YOUR MIRACLE, I HOPE YOU ARE HURTLING DOWN THE HIGHWAY NOW, WITH FEWER WORRIES!

1st pic, What someone allowed to happen to "Willy", before my daughter and I rescued him (this pic is deceiving, there is really little left)---This is my daughter, age 3, in "Willy" after 2 years of helpin' Daddy get "Willy" road worthy---Hand cranking at age 10, and proficiently driving him too!(hood serial #, is her birth-date)---Last Christmas visit (2010), Driving my Grandson around in her ole pal, "Willy"......Can you tell she's a Daddy's Girl?

CJ MEDEVAC I always make sure that the fluids are in order, and I appreciate the advice that you have given me! : ) I am so going to use 2carpros the next time I have a problem with my vehicle. Thanks again!

Julie7979
YOU GO GIRL!

SORRY YOU HAD YOUR PROBLEMS

NOT GONNA ASK, "HAVE YOU EVER WANTED.

I KNOW YOU HAVE. EVERYBODY HAS, YOU CAN SEE THE "YEARN" IN THEIR EYES, WHEN YOU PULL UP BESIDE 'EM!

GET YOU A JEEP!

THEY LAST FOREVER. MY CJ 5 IS 35, MY "WILLYS" IS 65!

IF YOU WANT ME SPECIFICALLY, JUMP BACK ON THIS POST, IF NOT, CREATE A NEW QUESTION.

I WANT YOU TO SPEND ABOUT 30 MINUTES EXPLORING OUR SITE, STARTING AT THE HOME PAGE. GOOD INFO!