WHAT COULD BE CAUSING A 96 CHEVY S10 TO JUST SUDDENLY SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING IT.

1996 Chevrolet S-10

My boyfriend was driving his 96 chevy s10 and he noticed the radio light kept flashing brighter. He had his brights on and turned them off and back on again and the truck completely died. Everything shut off while he was driving it. He was able to pull off to the side of the road and the minute he put it in neutral everything popped back onand he was able to start it and keep going. When he went to turn into his driveway it sounded like it was about to die and he got to his spot and it died and then wouldnt turn over like the battery had died. What could this be? Could it just be a loose ground wire? Just had started replaced.
Nicol5246

Make sure the battery has a full charge, connections clean and tight. Check fuse box for voltage. Check the charging system. Any applicable codes?

There are no applicable codes I will check the battery and all the connections. Since I am not a car repair sort of person do you have any tips on where the loose connections would be?

Nicol5246
Use a voltage tester and check for voltage. If the starter motor won't crank, check for voltage at the starter motor. Any testing, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.

Here is the wiring diagram. The purple wire at the starter solenoid should be hot with key in the crank position. The black wire is hot all the time.

Had the battery tested turns out the battery had a short in it. Got a new battery and it started right up. Do you think that is all it was or do you think it could actually be an alternator issue?

Nicol5246
It may have just been the battery. Some of the national brand autostores will check your charging system, if you don't want to check it, yourself.

So the battery had a short in it got a new battery. The truck started twice right away. My Boyfriend left his house got about a mile down the road. Stop at his stop sign started to go again and the truck just died. Is this a alternator issue?

Nicol5246
Stop at his stop sign started to go again and the truck just died. Could be the alternator or a different issue such as stalling problem-

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT REALLY NEED TO KNOW THIS IS WHAT MY TRUCK IS DOING !

CHARLOTTE
All we can do is make suggestions, you'll have to do the testing. Test for voltage when the problem is ongoing. Use a digital multimeter across the battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. Then start the vehicle, take second reading across battery posts, the second reading should be higher than the first if the charging system is working.

It could be almost anything.