WILL NOT START WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE GAS PEDDLE

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • 197,000 miles

Well, here I am again with another issue after 6 months of great running. Just yesterday the car was running great, has been for quite some time, I decide to go out and when I go to leave it doesn't want to start. I gave it some gas and it started up but just shut right back off. I tried it again but I held in the throttle a little and it sounded fine, no noises out of the ordinary. So I let go of the throttle and it just dies out again, no sputtering or anything, just gradually dies out. Also, if I try to drive it, it drives fine until I leg to of the throttle. I had a couple ideas, one being fuel pressure and another being maybe the throttle position sensor. Any ideas on this problem would be great. Thanks.
Ajracerex

As an update, the car now has 205,000 miles and is the 3.1L V6.

Ajracerex
Check the coolant temperature sensor and the fuel pressure if its within specs-start here

Just out of curiosity, why would it be a coolant temperature sensor? What does it do that makes the car just die like that?

Ajracerex
The CTS is like a choke on carbuerator it enriches the A/F mix on a cold starts with electronic fuel injections before the oxygen sensors controls the fuel in closed loop mode-Check the fuel pressure fuel pump could be failing or a clogged fuel filter-When you comeback give me the fuel pressure readings

Ok well my car is fuel injected. I already changed the fuel filter and there was no change. I have to get a fuel pressure gauge to check it so i'll get back with it asap.

Ajracerex
Ok well I just got done with the test and it read a steady 40 psi while it was running. Did it's normal routine as I revved it and let off. I would assume from here to go ahead with the replacement CTS?

Ajracerex
Your fuel pressure is in the low side-should be 41-47 psi-also check the fuel filter

The fuel filter has already been changed and there was no change. As far as the pressure, it was the same when I changed the pump last summer and had no issues.

Ajracerex
The idle control motor is a common failure for this condition. You should have it checked to see if it is working correctly.

Idle control motor as in the idle air control valve? I can check that too. If i'm not mistaken, there is an ohm value between the connection pins that determine whether it's good or not.

Ajracerex