CHEVROLET CAVALIER AXLE PROBLEM

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier • 130,000 miles

Just purchased a 1996 Cavalier and after a week the axle broke, so replaced it by son in law. He is not a certified mechanic. Now the axle is twisted again and eventually it will break. Why does it keep doing this? The kid said he wasn't beating the car but he remembers hitting a few potholes. Could that do this? Anyway the dad that fixed it the first time said the kid was beating the car and he will not fix it again. HELP. What could be causing this?
Kathymoreheadnewburn

Did you get a new or used axle?

I do believe the part came from a bottle parts store so I would say new

Kathynewburn
Sorry auto parts store

Kathynewburn
Twisted? Please explain. Can you post a picture?

All the grease is hanging down. They said its twisted. Maybe I can post a picture.

Kathynewburn
Sounds like a ripped boot. Doubt if it twisted.

How do I add a picture?

Kathynewburn
Here is the picture.

Kathynewburn
Can you tell by the picture?

Kathynewburn
Wow, it looks like the CV joint is coming apart. Is this the same thing that happened to the first one? If so. Some one must be dumping the clutch if it is a manual transmission or reving the engine in neutral and then slamming it into gear if it is an automatic. Hitting pot holes wouldn't cause that. Sorry, Roy, It showed this wasn't answered then I saw the pic.

Page 1 of 2