MY CHEVY HAS A KNOCKING SOUND COMING FROM THE REAR DRIVING SIDE AND IT ONLY DOES IT WHILE GOING FORWARD. IT ALSO FEELS LIKE THE TIRE IS LOCKING UP OR DRAGING. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier • 165,000 miles

Ive took the tire off but im afraid the mess with the brakes as I feel it might have thrown a shoe or somthing.

Elijah71687

If you are at any way in doubt about dismantling to inspect, take the car slowly and carefully to your mechanic for a full inspection. If the noise in there on bumpy roads and not under braking, I feel it will be suspension related and not brakes.

Mhpautos
No bumpy road at all, the sound only happends when going forward. And like I said it feels like the tire is locking up alittle. Do you think it could be the bearing?

Elijah71687
May be a brake as you indicated, carefully remove the drum and inspect, you should See if anything is amiss.

Mhpautos
Also my ebrake light has been on for awhile as well as my abs light, when itake the drum off whatt should I be looking for? And do you feel like maby I just threw a shoe/pad?

Elijah71687
May be a broken spring I will see if I can find a pic to post, as for the ABS go get a scan done and see what code is set.

Mhpautos