SHOULD I HEAR THE FUEL PUMP RUNNING A BIT ?

1996 Chevrolet Blazer • 137,550 miles

I have a 1996 chevy blazer I have to turn key on for a few seconds then crank over been starting fine until yesterday an today any ideas?
Jeff haas

The fuel pump will run for a couple of seconds with the key in the run position then it will run constantly while cranking the engine.

I could not get it start at work then it fired up drove home started several more times jus fine is it loosing tis prime maybe?

Jeff haas
Could be you can rent a fuel pressure gauge from auto zone and see if the pressure is bleeding down. Hook up the gauge start it up and then turn off the engine and watch the gauge and see if the pressure bleeds down if so to what pressure it bleeds down too?Monitor the pressure for 5 mins for dropping.

Fuel pressure specs below:

From what said already do you think the pump is ok?

Jeff haas
What is the pressure?

I will get back to you later with the specs.

Jeff haas
Also what it starts at and what it drops to in 5 mins.

The fuel pump relay powers it for a few secs to prime the system once the engine starts up the fuel/oil pressure sending unit takes over the power