I CAN NOT GET MY BELT PAST A BOLT THAT SITS BEHIND MY TENSIONER IN ORDER TO INSTALL A NEW BELT FOR MY WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY. MY OLD BELT SHREDDED.

1996 Cadillac Deville • 110,000 miles

I tried to lube the belt but there is just not enough clearance to fit the belt thru, does something need to be removed? P.S. I also do not have a new gasket for my water pump, the only way to get another one is to buy a new water pump. I just got the water pump 2 months ago and installed it, will I be ok with no new gasket?
Pacmanlaws

Is this a Northstar, or 4.9. The Northstar would have no water pump gasket, it uses o-ring type seals. The 4.9 does have a gasket. Which belt are you talking about, the main serpentine, or the water pump belt?

Factoryjack
Remove the water pump belt tensioner to get the belt out. If the water pump belt is shredded, what is the condition of the drive pulley on the camshaft, and the tensioner pulley. Usually something has seized, and the pulleys also get destroyed.

Factoryjack