AUDI A6 BATTERY PROBLEM

1996 Audi A6 • 140,000 miles

I need to know if I need a new battery The car won't turn over and the engine light comes on so how do I jump start this car?

Measure the battery voltage. 12.6 volts means it's okay. 12.2 volts means it's good but discharged. Around 11 volts means it has a shorted cell and must be replaced.

All cars are jump-started the same way. Connect one jumper cable to the positive battery terminals on both batteries. Connect the second cable to the two negative battery terminals, BUT, almost all experts and directions specify making the final connection to a clean metal part on the engine. Electrically that is the same place as the battery negative post, but physically it is away from the battery. That is done because when the final connection is made, a spark is going to occur. Batteries give off explosive hydrogen gas, and a spark can cause an explosion.