WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS COLD ALL THE TIME, AND IT BEEPS AND DISPLAYS AN ENGINE TEMP WARNING?

1996 Audi A6

My friend's 1996 Audi A6 has weird temperature problem: the temperature gauge for the engine doesn't move past cold most of the time, but never goes hot; however, the panel beeps whenever the car accelerates or goes uphill, and the digital display shows the engine temp symbol. Also, when you open the hood, the coolant expansion tank is almost empty even though it was filled a month and a half ago with coolant.
Thaskef

The gauge could be a bad thermostat or temp sensor. As far as the coolant, place a large piece of cardboard under the vehicle to see if anything is leaking. Also, pay attention to the exhaust of the vehicle. Watch for white smoke. Next, check the engine oil to make sure the coolant isn't mixing with the oil.

Let me know what you find.