TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING RIGHT..

1995 Toyota Pickup • 186,341 miles

I have a 1995 toyota tacoma 4 cyc. At first it had to warm up to shift out of first into 2 3 drive. Today I stopped at a red let and it shutterd like the engine was spuddering but it was the tranny and it would not shift out and finally, nothing no gears not even reverse. Stuck onside of the road I check fluid(hot) was bit over full. Still would not shift. Had no gears. I shut it off and calked for backup then crunk it up for a/c and wow it shift so I hauled butt then it started messin up again so each time I shut it off and restarted it it shifted fine till it messed up over and over restarting and goin till I hit a red light r hsd to stop. Wat u think is my problem, pcm, ecu, tcm are wat?
Darrisfields

So you have a automatic transmission?

Yes im sry I left that important part out. Automatic

Darrisfields
What color is the fluid?Is the fluid full?Any codes in the computer?

The fluid is dark brown. Code came up as h20 sensor bank one. It was full, a bit over actually

Darrisfields
The code machine was actually for 96 an up but she checked it anyway.

Darrisfields
Dark brown isnt a good color when was the fluid last changed?

I have no idea. I bought it 2 months ago from a relative. He said a transmission tech told him it needed a overhaul.

Darrisfields
I assumed he got it changed then but maybe not.

Darrisfields
He says it was around march of 2012

Darrisfields
And the fluid looks that bad already there is internal issues then I would do a pressure test on the transmission first. Then see if there is a debris field in the transmission pan.