BLUE SMOKE CAME OUT OF THE EXHAUST PIPE

1995 Toyota Camry

1995 Toyota Camry LE. A mechanic put in a catalytic converter then only after it was put in, a few days later blue smoke came out of the exhaust pipe. The smoke only goes out for ten seconds after I first start my car but only once per day, regardless of the temperature outside. I thought this prevents smoke going out especially since smoke didn’t go out before it was put in as far as I know. A year later I had a mechanic put in fuel cleaner, fuel filter, oil filter, gasket and motor oil but the smoke problem still exists.

Is there something other then an expensive repair, as the mechanic suggested, to be done? What are your thoughts about what the mechanic told me? He said, “I recommend valve job and valve seals to be replaced. Engine might need to be rebuilt based on inspection after cylinder head is removed.”

Also what would be a normal cost for parts and labor for a mechanic to do a valve job and replace valve seals? Would this stop the smoke?
Hereiam

Sounds like bad valve stems seals to me the oil runs down the valve when the car sits and the oil drains back into the bottom end. So how much oil do you burn between oil changes?

I only see ten seconds of a cloud of smoke per day. The oil level goes down so slow I think I add one bottle a year.

Hereiam
If its running good and usuing that little of oil I would leave it alone if it were my car.

What could I do that is cheap to make it pass a smog check or would this not be a problem to pass?

Hereiam
I would never say any car would pass smog but just because it burns oil doesn't mean it wont pass. My car before I redid the engine burned tons. Of oil but still passed smog.

I believe replacing the valve seals should do the trick.

There are tools available for you to replace the seals without taking the head off. Since engine is running with no problem and you want to rectify the problem, that is what I suggest.

But as Saturntech9 has mentioned, oil consumption is minimal so that means the smoke is not too much, you should be able to pass smog and if I were you, I would live with it.

This is not a serious problem and has no major side effects. Only ensure the oil level does not drop too much.

I saw a video on youtube. Com on how to replace the seals without taking the head off but what are the tools called?

Hereiam
Valve spring compressor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Man-Operation-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Tool-Set-1238-/370643709357?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item564c162dad&vxp=mtr

This is the design I would recommend. Remember you need regulated compressed air for this job.

Thanks.

Hereiam
You're welcome.