CAR TROUBLE STARTING

1995 Saturn SL1 • 4 cylinder •

Car has trouble starting in heat?
recently my saturn 95 sl1 has been having issues starting in hot weather.
in the mornings or evenings when its cool out or right after I put gas in the
car it starts up perfect but in hot
weather it will try to turn over but will not fire. Only way to get it to fully start in those situations is if I rev the engine slightly. I had replaced the spark plugs and the wires but still no difference. Its a 4 cyl engine. Any advice would be great! : )

Stephvallejos1

How long since overall tune-up. Any applicable trouble codes? If it is temp related, the coolant temp sensor could cause issues?

If you have to hold the gas pedal down to start it you most likely have a bad coolant temp sensor really common on that car. You have two coolant sensors on that car there screwed into the head by where the upper hose goes on. You want to replace the bottom one that has two wires going to it a black wire and a yellow wire. Also inspect the connector itself if the terminals turned green or blue then you need to replace the connector also. What happens is the tip of the sensors on the older sensors are plastic they crack and allow coolant to leak into the connectors and corrod them. When the sensors go bad they cause all kinds of different symptoms they always read too cold when they go bad thats why the hard start in hot weather the car is flooding. Change the sensor there only like 10 let me know how it runs then.

Not too sure when it has had its last tune up, I took it to a shop and the code reader they had was having issues as they claim. But they said they ran some test and things were checking out ok but yet they couldnt get it to start right off either. I did notice that when I was switching out the spark plug wires that there was some corrusion going on

Stephvallejos1
A bad coolant temp sensor usually wont set a code unless it gets really bad.I have worked at saturn dealers for over 16yrs repairing saturns its a bad coolant temp sensor most of the times shop over look it. Replace it and inspect thr connector like I said and you will be fine.

95 is a crossover year. The datalink connector may be a hybrid? If that is the case, the shop may not be able to hook-up on it? I don't care for cross-over years. That may not be the shops problem, just a thought?

The saturns wern't cross over connectors they were just the standard obd1 that you can flash the codes out watching the light. The connectors didnt change till 1996 like all the other cars did to obd2 connectors and obd2 systems.

You mean the shop didn't know how to access obd1? You got to kidding?

Yeah thats what they told me that they kept getting some kind of error message. Is this procedure easy to do? And if so where are the sensors located? Is there a possible visual so I can get an idea of where to start?

Stephvallejos1
If you have the 12 pin datalink connector, lower left edge of dash. Turn key till dash lites come on, no further, no crank. Place jumper wire between A & B terminals at datalink connector. The mil starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

It is possible the datalink connector--wiring or mil has a problem, and the lite won't flash.

If your just talking about replacing the coolant temp sensor, we can give you the location?

As my first reply says there is two people replying my user name is saturntech9 all you have to do is follow the upper radiator hose back to the head. On the same side of the head the hose hooks two there are two sensors screwed into the head the top one has one green wire two it. The bottom one has two wires to it a black one and a green one that is the one you want to change. Also inspect the connectors terminals if there blue or green you will have to replace the connector also. The sensor is easy to change it just unscrews you will need a 13mm deep sockect and ratchet. Make sure the engine is cold and you will loose coolant.I will post a diagram when I get home but there isnt any other double sensors over in that area.

Page 1 of 2