SATURN SL1 SPARK PROBLEM

1995 Saturn SL1 • 16,000 miles

The car idles fine and will rev up with no problem. Once the car is in drive and you accelerate it tends to sputter. I don't think it's a problem with the fuel filter or pump as it will rev up nicely, but what do you think.
Ahooten

I would check the spark plugs and wires first also the coil towers for being corroded those are the number one causes for that.

How much resistance should the wires have when I test them? I'm planning on doing that tonight when I get home from work. What would you look for in the coils to tell if they are bad besides corrosion, can you Ohm them?

Ahooten
As far as the coils they dont fail often the main reason I replaced them was for corrosion you will white powder where the spark plug wire goes on the coil. Also as far ohms testing the wires I found that to be a useless test on those I have ohms tested plenty of bad spark plug wires that tested good. So I have a tester set of single cam wires and twin cam wires I swap out for testing. Does your ac work if so turn on and see if it gets worse?Also ohms testing coils haven't had much luck there ethier. My sisters coil hadno spark but ohms tested good but the coil was bad. So thats why I dont put much faith in ohms testing those.

Ya the ohms on the wires weren't consistant, but I guess they would with the difference lengths. The coils had a bit of corrosion on them so I replaced the coils, spark plugs, and wire. Fixed the problem.
Now I just need to change the tranny fluid and do the reverse slam to fix the hard shifting.

Ahooten
So you have a reverse slam and hard shifting?If so you have a pressure issue inside the transmission. Do you have any codes in the computer?Most likely a failed pressure regulator in the valve body.