IS MY TRANSMISSION STARTING TO FAIL?

1995 Pontiac Transport • 175,500 miles

Just received a 1995 Pontiac Trans Port; 3.1L V6 from a family member with 175k miles. This vehicle has transmission problems I don't understand. First, reverse doesn't work under power at all. You can shift into reverse and nothing, just slips. Plus the car will be running fine for a while then after a normal stop the vehicle will stall. It feels like the car wants to start off in 3rd gear instead of 1st. After restarting the car, I can shift 1st - 3rd manually and that might work. When the car acts like this it feels like it is struggling to move forward and makes a weird noise but idles just fine. I can let the vehicle sit for a few hours to cool off and it seems to run fine for a while then back to the problem. I have checked the transmission fluid and it seems to be at a normal op level. As you can tell, I am not a mechanic just someone who's trying to get an idea of what I could be dealing with on this transmission and how bad it could really be. Thank you for your time and patients.
Grayvgary

If it doesn not work in revrse, that is an indication the circuit has a pressure or clutch problem. The erratic on no upshifting indicates it could be under "limp mode" meaning an error has been detected in the control system and the gears had been locked in 3rd.

Get a scan done to check for trouble codes and let us know what they are if any found. You might need professional evaluation of the problem.

OK, I will have a scan done on the vehicle to check for transmission codes. I will get back to you with results. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and give me direction.

Grayvgary
BTW, I've seen in another forum where it was suggested to check the oil pressure sender for similar symptoms. Does that sound accurate?

Grayvgary
There are many possibilities and it could be but we would always like to make it easier by checking out the basics.

Guessing is never a good way to diagnose a problem.