PONTIAC GRAND PRIX SMELL PROBLEM

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix • 145,000 miles

My car lost about 25% mpg on an ongoing basis. At the same time my low oil level light came on and will not go off. The oil level is fine. It also now shakes pretty bad between 45 and 55 mpg. It doesn't feel like it is coming from the wheels. It also shakes when I'm stopped, but that is usually only after I have driven it for awhile. The last symptom is that a terrible fumey smell is happening under the hood. I cannot drive on the highway with my window down because the smell chokes me out. All of these started happening around the same time. Any thoughts?

It sounds like the low oil level sensor has failed. Easy fix.

As far as the mileage, check plugs, wire/coils. Make sure fuel and air filter are good.

The smell may be the cat converter from too much fuel in the exhaust

is the check engine light on?

The check engine light is not on. Would a code still register if the light isn't on?

I know what I'm looking for when it comes to good plugs, but what would I be looking for when it comes to the coils and fuel filter? I replaced the wires and plugs about a year ago.

Abearclaw