BAD FUEL PUMP???

1995 Plymouth Neon • 4 cylinder • 160,000 miles

Can bad fuel injectors cause fuel pump to go bad? 6 months ago I replaced fuel pump and fuel filter and cam sensor. 2 weeks ago the fuel pump went bad again. Chenged it and a week later that fuel pump went bad.
if fuel injectors can cause this do you know the electrical resistance value be on meter when checked
Nikkibryan7

The thing to find out is WHAT went bad on the fuel pumps. They dont spin? Lost pressure? Other? That's what I would want to know. I would not think injectors would have any effect on the life of a fuel pump. Maybe you got into a bad batch of pumps? Try changing brands?

Fixitmr
The fuel pumps just stopped working. No warning. Went out to start the car and it would crank but not start. Cant hear energize anymore. These 2 pumps are from 2 different companies

Nikkibryan7
Do you happen to know what else it could be? ASD and fuel pump relay are good.
You said it cant be fuel injectors. But do you happen to know what the ohm should read? We tested them and 3 were 11.7 and 1 was 11.8

Nikkibryan7
When the car did/does run, is it normal? That would indicate injectors are fine? I have heard of pumps failing from not enough gas in tank to cool them off. Have you tried removed pumps to see if they respond to voltage at the pump itself, not the tank connectors?

Fixitmr
The first fuel pump all was good until it failed. This l; ast one I was getting 8 miles per gallon instead of 22. Got voltage on 2 wires (blue and black) not the 2 greens. Then cut out bad plug and hardwaired it now getting voltage to both green wires and not black and blue. As far as running ok. It seemed to take a little while to turnover when I cranked it to start

Nikkibryan7
Hi guys. I can shed some light on this. Have you ever noticed that you can hear GM truck pumps running while you stand beside it and the engine is running but you can't hear Chrysler pumps running? That's because they are built with tighter clearances. That makes them quiet but susceptible to locking up from debris in the tank.

The way the story typically plays out is you buy a cheap pump and it too locks up in a few months. After the second failure you switch to a higher quality pump from NAPA. It too locks up but it was real quiet. That's because NAPA buys their pumps from the same supplier that sells them to Chrysler. After the fourth or fifth failure you get frustrated and buy a pump from the Chrysler dealer and have no more problems.

The assumption is none of those pumps were any good but that would be wrong. What happens, according to a Chrysler trainer, is that microscopic debris in the tank collects in the pump and causes it to turn hard. Every new pump collects some more of that debris and suffers the same failure. By the time you get to the dealer's pump the debris is gone. Had you started with the dealer's pump it would have failed too.

The secret is to take the tank to a radiator shop and have it steam cleaned before installing the new pump. I don't remember where that debris comes from but this was a pretty common cause of repeat failures.