HORN TROUBLES

1995 Nissan Pathfinder • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 168,000 miles

I'VE got a 95 pathfinder and the horn doesn't work. It did not that long ago. I pulled the horn and checked it. Fuse is good and I replaced the relay. Cruise control is also on the steering wheel and the wires are tied into each other. Cruise also doesn't work but I don't see a fuse.

Lorax.dp

If vehicle is equipped with Air-bag system and the indicator is also showing, the fault should be with the spiral cable, commonly referred to as clock-sprinh reel, under the steering wheel.

There is no airbag so removing the wheel will be easier. Is there any way to test the clock spring? I also noticed that the factory alarm that uses the horn also doesn't work. Alarm switch is located on the center console and the other switches on that console (rear window, some kind of defrost ) all do not work. Could they all be related?

Lorax.dp
For those without air bags, there is no clock spring.

Since alarm and horn does not work, it could be a fault with the horn units or its wiring.

Attached is a horn wiring circuit.
Remove the horn relay and use a jumper across the Light Green and Light Green/White terminals, if horn come on, the horn units are good. Ensure you have battery voltage at the Light Green wire.

At steering column wire harness, Use a tst lamp to ground the Light Green/Black wire and if horn come on, the problem lies with the horn switch and contact between the steering and column.

To test, an ohmmeter for testing continuity is required.

Thanks for the help. I did what you suggested and it turns out it was the connection between the wheel and the column. When I took off the wheel I found a unit that has three spring loaded pins that keep in contact with the back of the wheel. These pins are badly worn, one being shorter than the rest. I think that one is the culprit. The turn signal and wiper switches are attached to the side of this unit. Any idea what it is called. Probably need a new one, not one from the junkyard, but I don't know what to ask for.

Lorax.dp
You're welcome.

That should be the multifunction switch assy. The pins do not come separately. If only the pins are worn, the unit should be repairable by replacing the pins alone but replacement parts might not be easy to and it should only be brass to avoid wear to the steering wheel brass plate.