TACHOMETER GAUGE NOT WORKING

1995 Nissan Altima • 123,000 miles

I currently own a 1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4-door automatic. The issue I'm having with it is the tachometer works sometimes (specifically above 60MPH). The rest of the instrument cluster works just fine (i.E. Oil gauge, fuel gauge, speedometer, all the warning lights. Etc). Sometimes, when I start up the car when its cold, the tachometer gauge will work, with the gauge pointing above 1100RPM. But then 1/2 minute later, it would just stop and drop to zero RPM even though the car is running. I'm thinking the problem might be a faulty connection between the instrument panel and one of those air-idle-intake sensor(s). Just not sure which one I should be looking for. Any help and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sumac0401

Power from the tach comes from the ECM located under the center of the dash. See attached picture.

Thanks Jacobandnickolas! ECM, I'm guessing thats the electronic control module? Sounds expensive if I have to replace. I'll take apart the dash and see if connection is loose. Do you happen to have a diagram or step by step how to get to the ECM? I have the Oem service manual somewhere.

Thanks again.

Sumac0401
You shouldn't have to remove the dash. Give a look and you should find it. As far as a diagram, my manual doesn't provide that. And yes, electronic control module. In addition, make sure all body grounds are attached and in good condition.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks again, Jacobandnickolas. When I have time, I'll remove the instrument panel (should be just 2 screws and it will pop out) and see if the harness connector has voltage in the documented terminals listed in my Nissan Altima Service Manual. If not, I'll have to check to make sure the connection between the instrument panel and the ECM is secure. Hopefully I will not need to get a new Tachometer.

Sumac0401
I hope it is something simple. Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.