WATER PUMP AND TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT COST

1995 Mitsubishi Galant • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 123,000 miles

1995 Mitsubishi Galant mileage: 123,000. I noticed a leak under my car the other day, and it was green. I know it was the coolant. So, I checked the coolant bottle and it was bone dry. I filled it to the line, then I drove it around the block and the  temperature gauge started to go up. I took it to the mechanic the next day and he said the water pump needs to be replaced. The coolant bottle was completely empty again. Does this sound right? And if it is the water pump, he said it's a good idea to change the timing belt as well. My question is  how much is all this going to cost?
2CarPros-Archives

The coolant bottle is a coolant overflow tank. Refilling the overflow tank does not necessarily refill the entire cooling system. To refill the cooling system, the radiator cap must be removed and coolant added. This must be done with the engine cold. Do not remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot or you will be scalded. There is a very good chance that the water pump leaked most of the coolant out of the system, with 63,000 miles it is a good idea to do the timing belt with the water pump. As far as cost, check reputable service centers in your area and compare costs.

2CarPros-Archives