TIMING BELT PROBLEMS

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I have tried to put on a timing belt 14 times. It is a 1995 Mitsubishi eclipse with the 2.0 non turbo. I due the 1/2 notch deal and then run belt. I think having trouble on cam alignment, because after I turn over by hand 2 times and a tdc the cams no longer line up. Help this is a project to long to still be going on.
Morris32

Hydraulic or manual tensioner? On cam align marks so 609 stamped on gear face each other. Also did belt brake?

Docfixit
The tensioner is the one you have to push back with vise. Good to know about 609 stamp Chilton book does not specify. Also the belt did not break I rebuilt motor for brother. I know old style with distributor and chain in front this was a new bear for me and a learning exp.I thought would be easy, boy was I wrong.

Morris32
Tensioner compressed in vice and lock pin installed? Install belt in direction shown see diagram from crank up to cam get as tight as possible. Hole belt to cam gear with one of those paper clips with the movable tabs. If needed rotate cam gear clockwise slightly to ingage tooth on belt. When belt on use torque wrench apply 21 ft. Lbs then slide tensioner up to contact tighten then remove lock pin. Rotate 2X

Docfixit