95 HAS PINGING NOISE FROM TRANSMISSION. WHAT COULD MAKE THAT KIND OF SOUND?

1995 Lincoln Town Car • 140,000 miles

I have a 95 Lincoln TC. There's a pinging noise coming from the bottom of the engine towards the back. At first, I thought it was just a loose heat shield or loose exhaust because I have heard what they sound like before, and because it becomes louder under load. Well I got under the car and the sound seems to be coming from my auto tran. Before I pull the whole tranny out, what could make this sound. And how would I diagnose this.
Jtonkin89

Possible cracked flywheel or broken Catalytic converter.

Wrenchtech
Use stehescope to locate more accurately?

Fixitmr
Great thanks for the quick replies. Could a cracked flywheel be the reason why my car periodically doesnt start? I turn the key and I just hear the engine spinning, like a whirling sound, that "rolls over" once then stops. I just read on a forum where a guy described a car not starting and the whirling sound, and some one else suggested the flywheel not engaging.

Jtonkin89
I couldn't tell you. I don't really understand what you are describing.

Wrenchtech
Bad starter drive?

Fixitmr